Vegan baking isn’t as difficult as your would imagine. After you’ve discovered vegan replacements for eggs and dairy, everything else is pretty simple. Here’s an image that shows some great vegan replacements for baking. I found this on PETA’s website, which is a great resource if you’re considering becoming vegan or vegetarian. They also offer a free vegetarian starter kit that you can sign up for if you are interested.
Here’s one of my favorite vegan baking recipes. I made these for my friends, and they had no idea that they were vegan (success!).
Red Velvet Vegan Cupcakes:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F
2. Mix milk and vinegar, allow to curdle, and set aside. It takes about 5 minutes for curdling to occur.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking power, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
4. In the milk mixture, add oil, food coloring, and extracts.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients
6. Bake 16-20 minutes