Creamy Vegan Vodka Sauce
I’ve been experimenting with pasta sauces a lot lately. My boyfriend is pretty Italian, so that might have something to do with it. Anyways, pasta is really important to him. So, in order to cook him his favorite Italian dishes, I needed to come up with some tasty vegan sauces to go along with the theme. This recipe is pretty simple, and did not require a vast amount of unusual ingredients. The secret ingredient (besides vodka, duh), is tofu!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 block firm silken tofu
- 2 cans of unsalted diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop onion & garlic, and saute in a large pot with olive oil until onion is translucent.
- Add 1 can of tomatoes, let veggies simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add vodka, and spices (red pepper flakes, oregano, salt, pepper), let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Crumble tofu in a food processor, add contents from pot, and puree until smooth.
- Return sauce to pot and heat on medium heat. Add the other can of tomatoes. If you do not like chunks of tomatoes in your pasta sauce, then add both cans to tomatoes to the food processor, and puree until smooth.
- Let sauce simmer until it is heated, and then serve!
I served my delicious homemade vegan vodka sauce over whole wheat sweet potato gnocchi with fresh spinach. It was nutritious, and you could not tell it was vegan!